Sisters Of St. Louis
Brief History of The Sisters of St. Louis
The Institute of men and women was approved by Rome in July, 1844, but by 1850, the priests disbanded, leaving the sisters remaining in the order. In 1859, the first Irish foundation was established in Monaghan, and two years later, they separated from France on the orders of their Bishop, who did not wish for them to be governed from there. For the next few decades, the Irish and French Institutes expanded separately across Ireland and France.
In 1903, the first Belgian foundation was established by the French Institute, and in 1912, the first English foundation was established from Ireland. By the end of the second world war, their numbers had declined significantly in the French Institute, and in 1952, it amalgamated with the St Louis Institute in Ireland.